Valentines for Vets: Join Us in Thanking Hospitalized Veterans
In early January of each year we begin getting the questions: Are you doing Valentines for Vets again this year? What's the deadline for the valentines this year?
The first answer is 'Yes.' As long as the V.A. Hospital in Iowa City continues to welcome the massive amount of homemade valentines you pour your heart into each year, we're going to keep delivering them to hospitalized veterans in advance of Valentine's Day. I wish you could see the smiles, thankfulness, and tears we encounter each year when we hand-deliver them at the hospital. Please know how much the veterans appreciate the valentines and the kind words and thanks that come with them.
The deadline each year is based on when the hospital would like us to bring the valentines. This year, we ask that you have them to us by Monday, February 10 at 5 p.m.
Families, church groups, schools, and even individuals make homemade valentines each year. There are just a few things to keep in mind when making the valentines:
- Please do not include candy as many patients aren't allowed to eat it. We don't want to tempt them or put them at risk.
- Please do not use glitter! Yes, it's beautiful but it makes a mess and can be a health hazard at the hospital if it were to get in the wrong place. No cards with glitter can be distributed to patients. They have to be tossed out, so please don't use glitter of any kind.
- We also ask that only your first or last name (not both) are written on the valentines.
When your valentines are complete they can be dropped off at:
- Wild Hogs Saloon & Eatery: 350 Commercial Drive in Walford
- Any Billion Automotive location in Iowa City
- The floral departments of the Edgewood Road Hy-Vee or the Mt. Vernon Road Hy-Vee in Cedar Rapids
- KHAK studios: 425 2nd St. SE (4th floor) in Cedar Rapids
You can also mail them to us (please make sure they arrive by February 10):
KHAK Valentines For Vets
425 2nd St. S.E.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
Have fun and be thanks in advance for the amazing response to this important campaign each year!