Brain & Courtlin’s ‘Healthcare Heroes’ — Week of 4/27
We honored five more AMAZING Eastern Iowa healthcare workers this week!
In the fight against the coronavirus pandemic, healthcare workers are on the front lines. In fact, we found out this week that 22 to 23% of the positive coronavirus cases in Iowa are folks in the healthcare field. Their knowledge, dedication, kindness, and selflessness in the midst of all this chaos has not gone unnoticed. That's why we kicked off a new segment called the 'Healthcare Hero of the Day' a few weeks ago.
Each weekday around 6:45 a.m. we honor one of the many amazing healthcare workers here in eastern Iowa, post the honoree on the 98.1 KHAK Facebook page, and mention them on the air throughout the day. It's just one small way we can support and recognize all their hard work.
Here are this week's honorees:
- 4/27 - Jesse Johnson, OB nurse at OBGYN Associates
- "Jesse has been an advocate for us nurses and has continually thought of new and better ways we could implement things during this fluid time. She also volunteered to be a patient screener, knowing her risk of contact was going to be higher than most. She comes to work with a positive attitude and a friendly smile, and she's always willing to help with anything. She keeps the mood light, which is helpful at keeping us all sane while we work to keep everyone safe."
- Nominated by coworker Shellie Cabalka
- 4/28 - Sheri Burke, RN charge nurse at Monticello Nursing and Rehab
- "Sheri is the most dedicated nurse I have ever met. She loves the residents of our facility more than anything, and always goes above and beyond for their care and happiness. It is a huge honor for me to work beside her every day! She is an absolute inspiration and hero."
- Nominated by Amanda Gomez
- 4/29 - Jordyn Cigrand, nurse at St. Luke's Hospital and a home health nurse through Recover Health
- "Jordyn is absolutely selfless and works so hard. She really cares and loves her patients as if they were her own family. Jordyn is always picking up shifts and putting everyone before herself. Thank you, Jordyn, for working so extremely hard during this time."
- Nominated by Shania DeShaw
- 4/30 - Chad Proctor, nurse practitioner for Mercy Palliative and Hospice
- "Chad is my Palliative Care NP and is great. Despite everything going on, every month he comes with me to appointments with PCP because I am immune deficient, which is chronic and life-threatening, and he doesn’t have to. He wants to make sure he and I and PCP all come up with a plan and coordinate everything between us three. He goes to his other patients' homes and wears his gear to be safe, but he is so there for his patients that he could be stepping into a household that has the virus and not know it. He also cares for hospice patients and is there for them in their last few days. I am grateful I will have him if ever have to go into hospice care because I would not want anyone else. People in this field don’t seem to get recognized, even in times that are not like this, but he's even more deserving in times like this because he really cares. He even gives his cell number to patients to call day or night if they need him, and I know I have used it before. I feel guilty about it, but he said that's what he is there for. I could not have asked for anyone better than him."
- Nominated by Richard Porter Jr.
- 5/1 - Lori Corey, respiratory therapist at the Helen G. Nassif Cancer Center Lung Nodule Clinic
- "Lori goes above and beyond for our cancer patients. Lori knows that time could determine the difference in a patient’s treatment. I know that Lori is a huge part of the front line team for COVID-19. I want all of you to know what a wonderful person Lori is, and this is just one way to thank her for all that she does every day. Thank you, Lori, and stay safe."
- Nominated by Connie Dietiker
You can view more local winners below:
- Week 1 (3/20 through 3/27)
- Week 2 (3/30 through 4/3)
- Week 3 (4/6 through 4/10)
- Week 4 (4/13 through 4/17)
- Week 5 (4/20 through 4/24)
Click HERE to nominate another Eastern Iowa healthcare worker!