#3 Iowa (3-0) VS #16 North Carolina (3-1) Game Notes
IOWA CITY, IA // DEC. 8, 2020 // CARVER-HAWKEYE ARENA
432 words // 3 minute read
It is hard to imagine that a blue blood basketball program like North Carolina is only 1-3 against Iowa in the history of these 2 programs. The last Tar Heel victory came at the Maui Invitational in 2014. The Hawks posted victories twice in 1989 and the last meeting between the two schools in 2015.
Iowa is not only looking to to extend it's home winning streak in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge to 4 games, they are looking for their first win of the year over a ranked opponent.
A win over the #16 Tar Heels would be a launch toward the all-time record over ranked basketball opponents in a season. That record belongs to the 2006 Hawkeyes at eight. Last year, Iowa had seven wins over ranked opponents-- the most in the nation.
LET'S HAVE SOME FUN!!!
- Tip off will be at 6:35 on Tuesday night and will air on ESPN and the WATCHESPN APP.
- The game can be heard on radio on the Hawkeye Radio Network, with Gary Dolphin and Bobby Hansen, and on XM 195 / Sirius 138.
- Iowa is favored -3 over the Tar Heels and the Over/Under is currently at 158.5
- The bets have been split 50/50 to both teams but the line has changed from -3.5 to -3, showing a slight lean to bets from the sharps.
- Nearly 88% of the bets are going at the Under at 157. But Elitesportsbook has held firm tat 158.5-- showing they know that Iowa gamblers will bet the OVER instead of UNDER.
- Iowa is 3-0 Against The Spread this year and 3-0 to the OVER.
- North Carolina is 2-1-1 ATS and 0-4 to the OVER.
- Iowa is 7-12 in ACC/Big Ten Challenge games, notching five of its seven Challenge wins at home.
- North Carolina won its first three games of the season over College of Charleston, UNLV, and Stanford, before being edged by #17 Texas on a last-second shot in the Maui Invitational Championship Game.
- The Tar Heels’ roster features nine returners and seven newcomers. A trio of return- ing starters head the Tar Heels’ lineup, led by second-team All-ACC honoree Garrison Brooks, and Armando Bacot and Leaky Black.
- Four Tar Heels average double figures in scoring: Garrison Brooks (12.3), RJ Davis (12.3), Caleb Love (11.0), and Armando Bacot (10.8).
- Iowa opened its season with 97+ points in each of its first three games for the first time since 1997-98.
- Iowa has won 16 of its last 17 games inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena. The Hawkeyes have won 67 of its last 72 nonconference home games, dating back to 2012.
- Four Hawkeyes average double digits in scoring; Luka Garza averages an NCAA-best 34.0 points, followed by Jack Nunge (18.0), Joe Wieskamp (12.0), and Patrick McCaffery (11.0).
PREDICTION: IOWA 84 NORTH CAROLINA 76
LET'S GO HAWKEYES!!!!