Hy-Vee To Hand Out Free Meals Tuesday
National Free Meals Month coincides perfectly with the help still needed in Cedar Rapids following the August 10 derecho, and Iowa's News Now reports that this Tuesday (September 29), Hy-Vee on 1st Avenue will help in a big way.
Visit their contactless event at 1566 1st Ave. SE in the east parking lot from 4-7 pm and pick up your free meal. The first 500 customers will be served while supplies last.
As mentioned, September is Free Meals Month and the website FMI describes this movement as a time when
our country celebrates National Family Meals Month™ -- a nationwide event designed to support families in enjoying more meals together using items purchased at the grocery store and, as a result, reap the many health and social benefits of doing so
The take and bake meals patrons will be able to choose from include family-size offerings of lasagna, beef enchiladas or cheese pizza.
The Iowa Storm Help Resource Center is still open and asking for volunteers and donations. It's at 4001 1st Ave. SE (near Outback Steakhouse) and is open from4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Their latest list of urgent needs includes:
- Volunteers (All day: chainsaw/brush crews, During center hours: delivery drivers, donation intake, and shoppers)
- Canned protein (chicken/tuna
- Single-serve pasta
- Canned Fruit/Individual Fruit Cups
- Pasta sauce
- Size 4 & 7 diapers
- Perishable Foods: Milk, Eggs, Cheese, Meat
- Shampoo, Conditioner, Deodorant
- Fresh produce (onions, potatoes, tomatoes, lettuce, carrots, peppers, bananas, apples, oranges)
Learn more from Iowa's News Now