We Honored Our Final Five ‘Healthcare Heroes’ This Week
We are saying goodbye to our 'Healthcare Hero of the Day' award!
This week was our final week honoring healthcare workers here in Eastern Iowa, but that doesn't mean the appreciation should stop! We want to thank everyone who took the time to send in nominations these past few months, but we especially want to thank all our local healthcare heroes. Even if you were never named as an official honoree, we love you and we think you're amazing!
Here are this week's 'Healthcare Heroes:'
- Lori Dvorak, respiratory therapist at the VA Medical Center in Iowa City
- Nominated by her daughter Chelsea Dvorak
- "My mom has placed herself in high-stress situations while working during the COVID-19 pandemic, but always places a smile on her face, works diligently to ensure the safety and well-being of her patients, and cares for them as if they are her family. She continues every day to put everyone’s needs before her own. She is at a higher risk (due to many reasons), but you would never know this when you encounter her. We love you, mom!"
- Stephanie Chase, CNA at MercyOne in Waterloo
- Nominated by her mom Dawn Chase
- "My daughter is a hard-working woman. She works 3+ days a week in the elective surgery wing doing 12 hours a day, and she also works closely with the COVID-19 patients. Then she comes home and takes care of my grandsons Kayden and Jaxsyn, who have some health issues. She helps out where she's needed, both personally and professionally. She deserves to recognized because she is a single mom of 2 and keeps it all together. I'm so proud of her and love her and my grandsons. She will always be my baby girl!! Love, mom"
- Wendy Kohl
- Nominated anonymously
- "Wendy is an RN that has been working tirelessly throughout this entire crisis. She has been a nurse for 30 years and is now the Program Compliance Coordinator for To The Rescue, a home health company. She has been conducting COVID-19 tests on many patients that have come into contact with people that have tested positive, and she does so without hesitation. She is doing everything that she can to make sure that her patients are taken care of and are safe at home, striving to keep them out of hospitals and nursing homes so that they can be happy in their own environment. She deserves a shout out because she is the epitome of an amazing nurse, and she is my role model!"
- Jacqueline Aanestad, administrator and MPT at Essence of Life Hospice
- Nominated by Jessica McKusker
- "Jacqueline's dedication to Essence of Life Hospice extends way beyond what anyone can imagine. From the minute she wakes up, she is focused 100% of how she can not only help her staff make it through each day and various obstacles, but also her patients and their families. She holds not only the role of administrator, but she is also the errand runner, the therapist, and the chocolate dispenser. The minute we heard the extent of the COVID-19 virus, Jacqueline kicked it in high gear to ensure that the staff at Essence had everything they needed to keep not only themselves safe, but also the patients and their families. I have had the pleasure of working with Jacqueline for many years and feel blessed to have an administrator that puts forth the effort she does to keep our ship running smoothly. She truly is the glue of our organization!!"
- Kyle Cheney, respiratory therapist at the University of Iowa Hospital
- Nominated by Timothy Cheney
- "Kyle helps wherever he's needed, working with infants, children, and adults. If someone is having trouble breathing, he's there to help. He's been working throughout the entire pandemic, even though his wife is pregnant and expecting their first child in just a few weeks. He really cares for all his patients' well-being."
If we bring back our 'Healthcare Hero of the Day' award later this year, we will be sure to let you know!