This Saturday’s Iowa Kid Captain is From Cedar Rapids [WATCH]
2019 marks 11 seasons that the Iowa Hawkeyes have had a 'Kid Captain' for every football game. Each of the youngsters has received treatment at the University of Iowa Stead Family Children's Hospital across the street from Kinnick. It's an unforgettable moment for every child that's recognized and a reminder to the rest of us just how tough kids are.
This Saturday before Iowa begins the season against Miami of Ohio, 14-year-old Aidan Kasper of Cedar Rapids will be introduced to the fans. Aidan was diagnosed with Pierre Robin sequence and also has a rare bone marrow disorder known as Diamond Blackfan anemia. Only a few hundred people in the U.S. have it. Aidan has had more than 200 blood transfusions and almost 40 surgeries. He's only 14. As you'll see in the video below, Aidan's health battles started the instant he was born.
Here are the other 12 kids from Iowa, Illinois, and Nebraska that will be Kid Captains in 2019.
- September 7 versus Rutgers: Jackson Tijerina, 8, Council Bluffs
- September 14 at Iowa State: Cien Currie, 6, Winterset
- September 28 versus Middle Tennessee State: Enzo Thongsoum, 9, Des Moines
- October 5 at Michigan: Andrew Morlan, 15, Cedar Falls
- October 12 versus Penn State: Gabby Yoder, 8, Kalona
- October 19 versus Purdue: Kendra Hines, 10, Mt. Vernon
- October 26 at Northwestern: Lucy Roth, 10, Iowa City
- November 9 at Wisconsin: Skylar Hardee, 8, Hubbard
- November 16 versus Minnesota: Aubrey Bussan-Kluesner, 8, Dyersville
- November 23 versus Ilinois: Jeg Weets, 6, Morrison, Illinois
- November 29 at Nebraska: Charlotte Keller, 7, Bellevue, Nebraska
- Postseason: Cooper Leeman, 5, Radcliffe