The sudden death of Los Angeles Angels Tyler Skaggs on July 1 has been ruled an accidental overdose of drugs and alcohol, news that is shocking to Skaggs' family, friends and fans.

The reports of his death broke hearts close to home here in Eastern Iowa, as Skaggs was a former Kernels baseball player, whom along with All-Star Mike Trout, headed for the majors shortly after his time here in Cedar Rapids.

In a report released Friday a Texas medical examiner said it was a toxic mix of the powerful painkillers fentanyl and oxycodone along with alcohol that caused an accidental overdose.

The overdose caused 27 year-old Skaggs to asphyxiate on his own vomit. It was the same manner of death that killed rock guitarist Jimi Hendrix at the age of 27 in September 1970.

USA Today reports that Skagg's family released the following statement regarding the ongoing investigation into his death:

"We were shocked to learn that it may involve an employee of the Los Angeles Angels, we will not rest until we learn the truth about how Tyler came into possession of these narcotics, including who supplied them."

[source: KCRG USA TODAY]