What Was Your Weirdest ‘Sick Day’ Excuse?
Career Builder just released their annual list of ridiculous sick day excuses, and some of them are beyond weird!
Let's be honest: pretty much EVERYONE has taken a "sick" day at work, even though they weren't sick. If you haven't, good for you, you're better than the rest of us. One time I called in sick just because I was really tired and wanted to catch up on some sleep. It was a Friday, leave me alone!
According to Career Builder, 35% of us have faked a sick day in the last year. So what exactly are people using sick days on when they feel fine? 28% said they just didn't feel like going in, 27% needed to go to a doctor's appointment, 24% said they needed relaxation time, 18% needed to catch up on sleep (see? I'm not alone!), and 11% took the day off to run errands. Employers gave some examples of the weirdest sick day excuses that they've heard in the past year. Here are a few of them:
- "Employee ate cat food instead of tuna and was deathly ill"
- "Employee said she wasn't sick but her llama was"
- "Employee had used a hair remover under her arms and had chemical burns as a result. She couldn't put her arms down by her sides due to that."
- "Employee was experiencing traumatic stress from a large spider found in her home. She had to stay home to deal with the spider" (my personal favorite)
- "Employee ate too much birthday cake"
If you are coming up with fake sick day excuses, be careful! Although 67% of employers give their employees the benefit of the doubt, the other 33% have checked up on them to see if they were telling the truth. And 22% of employers have fired someone for a fake sick day excuse. Ouch!
What was your weirdest sick day excuse? Let us know in the comments!
[Via Career Builder]