The Cubs Announce Replacement For Len Kasper
Finally some good news for Cub fans.
It's been a rough couple of weeks for Cub fans. Here's a short list of bad news that Cub fans have received since November:
- Theo Epstein announces that he is leaving the team with one year left on his contract.
- The Cubs released fan-favorite and playoff hero Kyle Schwarber.
- Longtime, and fan-favorite (that's a theme here) Cubs announcer Len Kasper decides to leave the club and become the TV voice of the Chicago White Sox.
- The Cubs traded pitching ace and, wait for it, fan-favorite, Yu Darvish. This was the sign that things were about to be very different.
- Rumors persist that the Cubs are trying to trade All-Star catcher and..... fan-favorite, Wilson Contreras.
I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple more bad headlines for Cub fans but that's just off the top of my head.
Cub fans were also told that the favorite to fill the seat of the departed Len Kasper was Chris Meyers. NOTHING against Chris Meyers but that was looking like a move towards a more vanilla, corporate-approved, broadcast. The incentive to watch Cub games on Marquee Network in 2021 was waning fast.
Then on Monday, the Cubs finally gave their fans some good news whether they realized it not.
The announcement of Jon Sciambi as the new play-by-play man for Cubs TV is perfect. Sciambi has been my favorite non-local baseball broadcaster for a long time. The first thing to know about Jon Sciambi is don't call him Jon. Everyone calls him by his, very baseball sounding, nickname, Boog. It's right there in his Twitter handle and on the lips of every partner he worked with. Boog is the perfect nickname for Jon Sciambi.
The other thing you need to know about Boog is that he absolutely loves his job. I don't think anyone in the country has as much fun at work as Boog does every day.
Here's a little clip of Boog in the booth with current Cubs manager David Ross and former Brave Chipper Jones:
He's an easy conversationalist, very smart, and very quick. Truly a gem of a hire for the Marquee Network and the Cubs organization.
Now, will the product on the field be as entertaining as the TV booth? That's yet to be seen but Boog Sciambi is the perfect companion to watch Cub games with all next summer.