Cedar Rapids Among Worst Cities for Blood-Sucking Bugs
No, this is not a list you want to make on an annual basis. But Cedar Rapids, Iowa has done it. Actually, they've even moved higher up on the list, which is troubling, to say the least!
Among the things that continue to spread around the nation, other than COVID, are bed bugs. The little critters can hitch rides and travel from city to city with ease. And as PRNewswire points out, the lack of staffing in the hospitality industry the little bugs are probably not being monitored as closely as they should be. The annual list that has just been released is based on data from the Orkin company. It looks at the metro areas where the company performed the most bed bug treatments between December of 2020 through November 30th, 2021.
The city of Chicago has the honor of being the worst city in the nation for bed bugs. Rounding out the top five are the cities of Philly, New York, Detriot, and Baltimore. But Cedar Rapids also makes this list, coming in at #30, up five spots from last year. Not exactly the list you want to be featured on if you want to boost tourism to your city. So what can be done?
- Inspect your home for bed bugs. Look for the places that they like to hide like mattress tags and seams and behind baseboards. Inspect after you move in, and after you return from a trip.
- Decrease clutter in your home to make it easier to spot the bugs in your home.
- Examine all second-hand furniture before you bring it into your home.
During travel, Orkin suggests you remember the acronym S.L.E.E.P.
- S - Survey your room for signs of an infestation
- L - Lift and look items for bed bug hiding places
- E - Elevate luggage up and away from walls.
- E - Examine your luggage carefully when packing and again when you return.
- P - Place all dryer-safe clothing in the dryer for at least 15 minutes at the highest level when your return home.
Hopefully, by following some of these tips, you can avoid staying someplace that has bed bugs, and avoid bringing them back home with you!