Top 10 Most Unusual Pet Insurance Claims of the Year
You can vote on the "most unusual pet insurance claim of the year," and your options include a cat that got stuck in a folding couch and a dog that survived an "unexpected jump" off a 36-foot bridge.
What is The Hambone Award?
Every year for the past 15 years, Nationwide Pet Insurance does something called the "Hambone Award," for the most unique injury claim. It was named after a dog that once got into a fridge, ate an entire holiday ham, and ended up with mild hypothermia.
Nationwide’s 15th annual Hambone Award
The reality of accidents involving our beloved pets can be distressing and costly. However, since 2009, Nationwide® pet insurance has been bringing awareness to unique situations that our furry friends find themselves in with the Hambone Award®. The award is presented annually, highlighting the important role that pet insurance plays in aiding our pets.
This year's group of nominees have encountered animals, traps, ingestion, collisions, and other risky situations. Voting is now open until September 22, 2023, to decide the most unusual pet insurance claim of the year. The results will be announced on September 28, 2023.
Last Years Winner
Last year's winner was Rafa, a cat from Seattle who was rescued, after falling 45 feet down a storm drain. He was in the ICU for four days, but now he's back to normal.
Meet the 2023 Hambone Award finalists
Since they insure over a million pets, they hear a LOT of INSANE stories. And they just named their finalists for 2023. Here are the highlights . . .
10. Aurora - New Hampshire
"Aurora, a Goldendoodle who currently lives in Belmont, New Hampshire, suffered a broken leg while furiously trying to extract her paw that was stuck in a snow-covered storm drain grate. Emergency surgery was needed to repair the bone that had snapped above her knee, but the playful pup made a full recovery."
9. Belle - Georgia
"Belle, a Jindo from Atlanta, Georgia, confronted a large deer that wandered into the family’s backyard. Thankfully, the spunky dog’s tussle with the big buck only resulted in soft tissue damage and scratches."
8. Bernie - California
"Bernie, a mixed-breed dog from Rescue, California, was tumbled by an ATV while on a Christmas Eve run. His injuries were not life-threatening, but he required significant care and recovery time to get back to his normal self."
7. Giles - New York
"Giles, a kitty from New York City, became smooshed in a sofa when out-of-town visitors inadvertently closed the folding couch…with Giles underneath. Aside from a newfound fear of hinged objects, Giles suffered no lasting effects from the incident."
6. Grayson Haze - Texas
"Grayson Haze, a Labrador retriever from College Station, Texas, took an unexpected jump off a 36-foot-high bridge and landed onto a concrete embankment. Incredibly, no surgery was necessary, and his internal injuries healed after two months of rest."
5. Jax - Nevada
"Jax, a snuggly pug from Las Vegas, who was cozied up in a comforter at home while recovering from surgery, became dangerously overheated to the point of heat stroke. After some cooling treatments administered by his veterinary healthcare team, his temperature and temperament returned to normal."
4. Josie - California
"Josie, a playful mixed breed pup from Alameda, California, lost four teeth and suffered a broken jaw while aggressively chasing a ball during a game of fetch in the San Francisco area. It is suspected that Josie’s injury resulted from a high-speed collision into a pair of cast-iron stadium seats that were mementos from historic Candlestick Park."
3. Miko - Louisiana
"Miko, a cat from New Orleans who enjoys his outdoor “catio” space, took a seven-foot flying leap at a pair of doves that were starting a nest too close for his comfort. The family’s home security camera showed Miko being bitten near the eye during a mid-air encounter with one of the escaping doves. Beyond a minor cut, he was not seriously harmed."
2. Rolex - Massachusetts
"Rolex, a green-cheeked conure from Milton, Massachusetts who was visiting a family in another home, found himself a seemingly perfect perch atop an open door. Things took a perilous turn when the homeowner shut the door without looking and inadvertently slammed the bird in the door. Although Rolex’s injuries were quite serious, he was treated and recovered. "
1. Sunny - California
"Sunny, a determined Labrador retriever from Anaheim, California who shimmied his crate five feet across the room to get close to an electrical outlet, snagged and ingested three phone charger cords. He underwent an emergency procedure to clear the foreign objects from his system and has fully recovered."