Save Money On Back-To-School Clothes In Iowa This Weekend
Those who live in Iowa or are close enough to travel to the Hawkeye state can save money on clothes this weekend. The annual Tax-Free Weekend holiday happens this weekend and it's a great way to save 7% on most clothing items before the kiddos head back to school.
Iowa's Tax-Free Weekend is almost here! This year's state holiday is Friday, August 5th, and Saturday, August 6th. Items that are eligible to be tax-free begin being tax-free starting at 12:01 a.m. on Friday morning. The tax-free weekend ends at 12 a.m. midnight the next day. That's 48 hours of saving some good money on clothes. The holiday doesn't include Sunday.
The Iowa state sales tax is 6% and the local tax is 1% meaning you'll be saving 7% on the eligible clothes you purchase this weekend. The great thing about being in the Quad Cities area is that those who live in Illinois have a short drive across the Mississippi River to shop and save.
What Is 'Tax-Free' This Weekend?
According to the state of Iowa, most clothes and shoes will be tax-exempt Friday and Saturday. Here are the details:
- No sales tax or local option sales tax will be collected on sales of an article of clothing or footwear having a selling price less than $100.00.
- The exemption does not apply in any way to the price of an item selling for $100.00 or more
- The exemption applies to each article priced under $100.00 regardless of how many items are sold on the same invoice to a customer
What Does "Clothing" Mean?
A weird question to ask, but the State of Iowa has a definition since they won't be collecting tax money on these items this weekend. According to the state, clothing is defined as,
- Any article of wearing apparel and typical footwear intended to be worn on or about the human body.
Below is the list of things that you might consider clothing but that is not tax-free this weekend:
- Watches, watchbands, jewelry, umbrellas, handkerchiefs, sporting equipment, skis, swim fins, roller blades, skates, and any special clothing or footwear designed primarily for athletic activity or protective use and not usually considered appropriate for everyday wear.
School supplies and computers are also not on the tax-free list this weekend.
Have fun shopping and saving this Friday and Saturday during Iowa's Tax-Free Weekend!