The Marshalltown Fire Department now says that no one died from carbon monoxide poisoning at an abandoned church. According to a news release from November 6th, one person had died from the poisoning while gathered at the church. The statement said that the victim had been airlifted to a Des Moines hospital.

The department released a statement yesterday making the correction, saying no one lost their life, and they apologized for the mistake. Fire Chief David Rierson says he takes full responsibility for the situation.

A pastor who was at the church the day of the incident said that no one was missing and everyone who was there that day was accounted for. Mercy Hospital in Des Moines confirmed it had three people admitted but all have since been released.

Exhaust fumes from a generator at the church caused around 15 people to become ill with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.


More From 98.1 KHAK