Iowa, Iowa State, & UNI Adjust Basketball Schedules Due to Winter Storm
As a major winter storm continues its march toward the state of Iowa, the University of Iowa and Iowa State University have revealed changes to their men's and women's basketball schedules this week.
Let's begin with Iowa State. Tuesday morning, the university announced they were canceling a pair of games. The Iowa State men's basketball game against Omaha on Wednesday, December 21 has been canceled, as has the women's game against Drake that was scheduled to be played on Thursday, December 22. Neither of the games will be made up.
In a media release, Iowa State Director of Athletics said, "After consulting with both Omaha and Drake, we believe that cancelling both games today will afford the student-athletes from all four teams the opportunity to depart ahead of the storm and return safely to their homes to spend the holidays with their families."
The University of Northern Iowa has moved its men's basketball game against St. Bonaventure from Thursday to Wednesday. The game will begin inside the McLeod Center at 6 p.m. Wednesday night, December 21.
In Iowa City on Wednesday, the University of Iowa was scheduled to host a day-night doubleheader featuring the women's and men's basketball teams. Since the storm is expected to begin in western Iowa, the University an Iowa saw an opportunity to still get the games played, albeit earlier. Tuesday afternoon, Iowa announced Wednesday's games will now both happen in the afternoon.
The Iowa women's game against Dartmouth has been rescheduled to a 12:01 p.m. tip-off Wednesday afternoon. It will be streamed on BTN+.
The Iowa men's game, which was to be played Wednesday evening, will now begin after the women's game concludes. The Hawkeye men are expected to tip-off against Eastern Illinois at approximately 2:31 p.m. That game will also stream on BTN+.
The University of Iowa also has additional information for ticket holders of the two games:
- Anyone with a ticket to the women's game is welcome to stay for the men's game. Fans should relocate to sections H, I, and J--above row 20-- for the men's game.
- Fans with a ticket for the men's game are welcome to arrive early, for the women's game. During the women's game, those ticket holders are also asked to sit in sections G, H, and I, above row 20.
Here is additional parking information, provided by the University of Iowa:
- Parking (as space allows) will be available in Lot 65, Lot 43, Lower Finkbine, Softball & Track, Newton Road Ramp (hourly rate applies), and Hancher with free CAMBUS shuttle to the arena
- ADA parking will be in Lot 40 (west side) with state-issued ADA placard or license plate
- Women’s Basketball Permits: WB46 (Lot 46); WB40 (Lot 43)
- Men’s Basketball Permits: Zone A (Lots 46 & 75); Zone B (Lot 75, as space allows); Zone C (Lot 43, as space allows)