Fun Facts About Friday the 13th
Ever wonder where the superstition behind Friday the 13th came from? We have answers... kind of!
Happy Friday the 13th, everyone! Or, if you have friggatriskaidekaphobia/triskaidekaphobia (yes, those ARE real words), then I guess today is an UNhappy day for you. Friday the 13th is typically considered the most unlucky day of any given year, which is unfortunate, because this year we have TWO of them; one in October and one today. But WHY exactly is Friday the 13th so darn unlucky? Here are some interesting facts about the day:
- While the exact origin of the superstition behind Friday the 13th isn't 100% clear, historians have their theories. Many people believe it came about during the Middle Ages and has ties to The Bible.
- Way back in ancient times, the number 12 was considered the number of "completeness," which means the number 13 kind of got a bad rap.
- According to Christianity, there were 13 people present for Jesus' Last Supper on Maundy Thursday. He died the next day, which is also known as "Good Friday." Also, Judas, who was the apostle who later betrayed Jesus, is said to be the 13th person who sat down at the supper.
- Thomas W. Lawson published the popular novel "Friday, the Thirteenth" in 1907, which was believed to have contributed to the superstition.
- In Western countries, many buildings don't include a 13th floor because of the superstition.
- President Roosevelt would not allow a total of 13 people to dine together and would not travel on Friday the 13th.
- Many unfortunate events have occurred on Friday the 13th (which you can see HERE), but there is one very notable one. Some people believe that in 1307, Friday the 13th was the day that King Phillip IV of France ordered the arrest of the Knights Templar.
- According to a recent survey, 80% of people consider themselves to be superstitious, and 1 in 20 people will not leave the house today.
- Here are some of the most common superstitions:
- Breaking a mirror is bad luck
- Walking under a ladder is bad luck
- Opening an umbrella indoors is bad luck
- If you spill salt, you have to throw some over your left shoulder
- Knocking on wood will prevent bad luck
- If a black cat crosses your path, it's bad luck
Are you extra superstitious on Friday the 13th? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!