"Treat." The word alone makes Casey's ears perk up. He's liable to even sit because he knows that command is likely coming before he receives his payoff, the treat. However, the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has issued a warning about a series of treats that we should all take note of, especially as you pack your pooches Christmas stocking (Hey, you all do it).

The concern is for "bone treats." The FDA says they've received reports of more than a dozen dogs dying and nearly 100 getting sick after eating them. "Pork Femur Bones," "Smokey Knuckle Bones," "Rib Bones," and "Ham Bones" are all named in the warning, though no specific brands are.

These bones are processed and the FDA says dogs have suffered a variety of problems after eating them. They range from cuts to the mouth to vomiting, diarrhea, choking, obstruction of the digestive tract, bleeding, and, in some cases, death. Reports to the FDA indicate some of the treats appeared moldy and broke into sharp pieces when dogs chewed them.

Check your treat stash to make sure you don't have any of these at your home, because "bone treats" are sold in stores across the U.S. It's better to be safe than sorry, especially when it comes to your best friend.

Casey photo by Julie James
Casey photo by Julie James

[via Syracuse]

More From 98.1 KHAK