Cedar Rapids Sets All-Time Record for Construction Permit Value
If it seems to you there's been a ton of building construction in Cedar Rapids this year, you're absolutely right. It's been a record-setting year, as a matter of fact.
In a release from the City of Cedar Rapids, they've announced the value of all the building permits issued this year is an incredible $376 million. That's more than $130 million above last year's total and $29 million more than the previous record. The previous record for value of construction permits was $347 million in 2012.
This year's record is nearly evenly split between new construction ($183 million), which includes commercial structures as well as single and multi-family housing, and renovations, repairs, and additions ($193 million).
In the release, Cedar Rapids Mayor Brad Hart said,
These numbers tell a very positive story about our community’s growth and vitality. We are proud to make Cedar Rapids a place where public and private development continues to thrive.
Here are the top 10 projects of 2018, and their costs:
- Grand Living at Cedar Rapids (new) 325 Collins Road SE ($24,834,000)
- Eastern Iowa Airport Concourse B (addition) 2121 Arthur Collins Pkwy SW ($21,300,000)
- Cottage Grove Place (addition) 150 Cottage Grove Ave. SE ($16,421,000)
- United Fire Group (new) 123 1st Ave. SE ($16,374,181)
- Prairie High School (addition for phases 1 & 3) 401 76th Ave. SW ($16,237,620)
- Lil' Drug Store Products (new) 9300 Earhart Ln. SW ($10,834,000)
- Stoney Point Meadows Senior Housing (new) 1900 Stoney Point Rd. SW ($10,267,595)
- Unity Point Skilled Nursing (new) 1420 UnityPoint Way NE ($9,300,000)
- Cedar River Bluffs Luxury Apartments (new) 2415 River Bluff Dr. NW ($7,115,000)
- Kingston Family Apartments (new) 217 7th Ave. SW ($6,134,147)