Important Info to Assist Your Post Storm Clean Up
Now that the storms have passed residents are faced with cleaning up the aftermath.
Here is some good info to help you get rid of any tree debris:
The Solid Waste & Recycling yard waste collection services accepts unlimited yard waste as long as it meets these requirements:
- Limbs are 5 inches or less in diameter
- Debris is put into the YARDY cart first, then excess debris is bundled and set next to the cart.
- YARDY cart lid must be closed for collection
- Bundles must be 2ft.x3ft. in size and weigh less than 40 pounds each
- Bundles are held together with biodegradable twine
In addition, tree debris can be taken to the Cedar Rapids/Linn County Solid Waste Agency A Street location for a disposal fee of $18.00/ton. Please be advised this entrance has a gravel road and is minimally used. Customers should drive slowly when entering and exiting. All customers must proceed to the scale house when arriving at the facility.
To report dangerous tree conditions, call (319) 286-5802.
How to dispose of materials affected by the storms and flooding:
The Solid Waste & Recycling Division collects a variety of larger materials from residents at the curb for a separate fee. Residents can access this service by calling (319) 286-5897 at least one day before their collection day to arrange a special collection. Describe the items you have to set at the curb to get more information about disposal costs.
The Cedar Rapids/Linn County Solid Waste Agency offers a variety of disposal services at two different locations in Cedar Rapids and Marion.
- The Cedar Rapids A Street Facility offers yard waste disposal, wood recovery, and recycling options for asphalt shingles, electronics, appliances, tires, scrap metal, and household items. This facility is currently only accessible by using the back entrance off C Street SW.
- The Marion County Home Road Facility offers garbage disposal, hazardous material drop-off, and recycling options for asphalt shingles, electronics, appliances, tires, scrap metal, and household items.
To learn more about the Solid Waste Agency Services go to www.SolidWasteAgency.org, or call (319) 377-5290.
The Cedar Rapids Solid Waste Division is providing collection services to properties with damage resulting from reported and confirmed sanitary sewer back-ups. Debris at these properties is considered contaminated and should be handled with caution. Residents should set items out in one pile at the curb for collection. Removal of this debris will occur as soon as the damage has been verified by the Sewer Division as resulting from a sanitary sewer back-up. Call (319) 286-5802 to report damage from sanitary sewer back-ups.
And if your in the need of tools for clean up:
Tools required for cleanup following recent storms are being offered on loan free of charge by the Tool Library of Matthew 25 between now and July 15. Tools available include shop vacs, squeegees, shovels, saws (hand, gas, and electric), pruners, and a whole host of other equipment. Linn County residents may visit the tool library at 201 Third Ave. SW weekdays between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. A security deposit is required.
Matthew 25 is a non-profit agency working to strengthen neighborhoods by empowering people. The tool library was organized following the flood of 2008 as a resource for the community. It continues to serve its members by making tools available at a low cost membership fee