Places to Donate in Cedar Rapids This Holiday Season
Every November people across the country and world begin balancing holiday excitement and the dreaded stress and financial costs that go along with it. Some have found a solution to tip the scales and give back for the holidays. Instead of spending all of your time shopping this holiday, you can donate to charities instead. Whether it is unused clothing, food, pet supplies or services, here are some ways to spread holiday cheer by embracing the good in humanity--and not just giving money. I called the following charities to talk to their staff about what they need most. Here is the most up-to-date list.
- Cedar Rapids Homeless Shelter Directory (A master list of shelters in Iowa)
- Waypoint Services Facebook (Domestic Violence Care, Child Services, Shelter
- Need: Cleaning supplies, soaps, razors, feminine products, diapers. Full list.
- Willis Dady Emergency Shelter (Emergency Shelter)
- Need: Family apartment items, gently used lamps/rugs, dishes and silverware. (Volunteers to help with overflow shelter.)
- St. John of the Cross (Emergency Shelter)
- Need: Several children are wanting bicycles, new toys for kids, housewares (pots, pans, plates and bowls), household goods. gently used furniture.
People aren't the only one's who need a little love this holiday season -- animals do too! Below is a list of places you can donate your time or goods to, to better help local animals in need.
- Last Hope Animal Rescue (Adoption, fostering, and care for dogs and cats/ supply shelters)
- Need: High quality dog food, hybrid martingale collars, hammocks with clips, dry cat food. Full list.
- Iowa Humane Alliance (Helps people cover medical costs for their animals)
- Need: Bleach, 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol, distilled water, paper towels. Full List.
- Saint Rescue (Help cats in need/supply the shelter)
- Need: Purina One cat food, scoopable litter, live/humane traps, pet beds, toys. Full List.
- Cedar Valley Humane Society (Provide care for dogs and cats, supply the shelter, fostering and adoption)
- Need: Cleaning supplies, laundry detergent, light bulbs, trash bags. Full List.