Country on the River ‘Next Big Star’ Contest Rules
Country on The River’s Next Big Star! Singing Competition
Contestants may sing without any music (acoustic) or with their own instrument.
Contestants will perform ONE judged song at KHAK’s local competition.
Contest Eligibility Requirements
1. The act is composed of no more than seven (7) individuals
2. The act has not performed on a record charting in the Top 100 country format of Billboard within eighteen (18) months preceding local competition.
3. Each act has paid the ONE-TIME $20 registration fee before performing live at the local competition (preliminary or one-time show, if you compete more than one time at a regional competition, you only pay the registration fee once).
4. No member of the act was part of the final round back-up band for monetary compensation within the past year.
5. No member of the act is an owner, controlling stockholder or employee (or family member of any of the above) of KHAK.
6. No member of the act is related by birth, marriage, or has any on-going business relationship with any Country on the River’s Next Big Star judge.
7. Contestants must be 18 years of age or older by the local competition. Performers must follow laws of establishment hosting event. Thus, if the event is hosted at a location in which minors are not allowed, contestants may only be 21 years of age and older.
Rules and Regulations
1. ENTRY PROCEDURE: You must complete an entry form and return it to the sponsoring radio station with your $20 registration fee before their deadline date.
2. REGISTRATION FEE: TO ENTER THE Country on the River’s Next Big Star competition, A ONETIME REGISTRATION FEE OF $20.00 PER ACT IS REQUIRED. U.S. CURRENCY ONLY. THIS FEE IS TO BE COLLECTED ONLY ONCE, PER STATION, REGARDLESS OF THE NUMBER OF PERFORMANCES DURING THE COURSE OF COMPETITION. A CONTESTANT MUST PAY THE REGISTRATION FEE AND COMPLETE AN ENTRY FORM FOR EACH DIFFERENT RADIO STATION. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
3. DISPUTES: The sponsoring radio station is authorized to resolve all disputes at their competition. Country on the River is the sole authority in resolving all disputes at both the local and regional level competitions and to disqualify any contestant at any level of the contest for failure to comply with the rules and regulations including errors and omissions. Country on the River’s decisions are final.
4. PERFORMANCE: The following applies to any Next Big Star contest:
a. Each act entered in the Next Big Star must perform only with the personnel listed on Sections 1 and 2 of the Entry Form. No personnel changes or substitutions will be permitted once you have advanced past the local competition. Once an individual withdraws from an act at any level of the contest, he/she cannot perform at the next level.
b. Individuals may perform with only one act during any local contest.
c. No live “backup band” vocals are allowed. Neither the backup band nor any of its members is permitted to compete in the contest in which they are the backup band (finals only).
d. Each act must perform live, vocally and/or instrumentally. No special lighting, props or special effects may be used.
e. Any act with three or more individuals playing an instrument may not use the backup band or any part of the backup band or pre-recorded music (finals only).
f. There is not a specific time limit on performance, however, only ONE (1) song is to be judged during the preliminary regional competitions. At the FINAL competition (at Country on the River) contestants will perform TWO (2) judged songs.
g. All performances must be done in good taste: no music or lyrics that the radio station or Country on the River considers to be offensive may be performed.
hi. Age restrictions will be at the discretion of the radio station and/or its venue.
i. Contestants may perform their own music. Music eligible for performance will be defined as any piece of music written or co-written by the contestant (either individual or member of group). Any contestant (either individual or member of group) who claims to be using his own music may be disqualified at any level of the contest at the discretion of Country on the River if a musical copyright for the music exists which does not name the contestant as author or co-author.
j. Acceptable documentation to prove ownership of your music shall include either a certificate of copyright, proof of song registration with BMI, ASCAP, etc. or a notarized copy of the music.
k. Performances will be awarded 0-10 points in each of the following categories: 1). Overall talent; 2) Vocal/Instrumental talent; 3) Originality of performance; 4). Stage presence/charisma.
l. In the event of a tie, the first tie-breaker shall be the highest number of points given in the Overall Talent category. The second tie-breaker shall be the highest number of points awarded in the Vocal/Instrumental talent category. The third tie-breaker shall be by secret vote of the judges based on overall performance style and impact.
5. LOCAL CONTEST PRIZES: The only official prize offered at the local contest is the opportunity for the winner to advance to the finals on Thursday August, 7 at the Country on the River festival. Local contestants must pay their own expenses during the competition at both the local and finals. In signing this entry form, the contestant acknowledges that Country on the River is not responsible for any prizes promised or offered at the local contest level except the local winner’s chance to compete at the finals.
6. LOCAL CONTEST AND FINALS
a. The winner of the local contest is eligible to compete at the final competition on Thursday August 7, 2014. Contestants may enter as many local competitions as they wish until winning.
b. The final competition will take place on Thursday August 7, 2014 at the Country on the River festival grounds in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin. Each finalist will perform TWO (2) songs with a LIVE back up band. Rehearsal with the back up band will take place on the same day. The winner of the final competition will then have the opportunity to sing the National Anthem on the main stage on Friday August 8, 2014 and Saturday August 9, 2014 to kick-off each day’s festivities.
7. PROMOTIONAL AUTHORIZATION: By submitting an entry form, the act (and each individual member thereof) grants Country on the River and local radio stations the right to utilize the act’s (and each individual member’s thereof) name, likeness, image, voice, appearance, and performance in perpetuity worldwide for advertising, trade or any other lawful promotional purposes whatsoever, in any and all media now known or thereafter developed, without compensation. I/we also grant Country on the River the right to broadcast, market, sell and otherwise distribute my name, image, likeness, voice, appearance and performance, either in whole or in parts for commercial, non-commercial television, close-circuit exhibition, home video distribution, internet or any other purpose Country on the River, in their sole discretion may determine. I/we herby give all clearance, copyright or otherwise, for the use of my name, likeness, image, voice, appearance and performance embodied in my/our performance/stage presentation.
8. ASSUMPTION OF RISK: By submitting this entry form, the act (and each individual member thereof) assumes all risks of property damage or bodily injury (including death) that might occur during the local or final events. The act (and each individual member thereof) agrees to not bring against Country on the River, local radio station or any local sponsors any claim for property damage or bodily injury (including death) that might occur during the local or final competition.
9. GOOD CHARACTER: The act agrees that it may be disqualified immediately from any level of competition if the act (or any member thereof) commits any act or becomes involved in any situation that would aversely reflect on Country on the River or any party furnishing a prize, or tend to bring it or that party into public disrepute.
10. ELIGIBILITY: Submit any questions regarding eligibility to Country on the River.
a. I am/we are not an act with over seven individuals.
b. I/we have not performed on a record listed in Billboard within eighteen months preceding local competition.
c. I/we have paid the $20 registration fee before performing live at the local contest.
d. I am/we are not part of the local backup band nor am I/are we related to any member of the local back up band by birth, marriage nor have I/we performed with the back up band or any member of the back up band for monetary compensation within the past year.
e. I am/we are not an owner, controlling stockholder or employee of and I am/ we are not related by birth or marriage, nor do I/we live in the same household as the local judge, the radio station sponsoring the contest or Country on the River.
There must be a minimum of three judges who will adhere to the following rules:
1. The following are not permitted to judge:
a. Sponsoring radio station personnel
b. Country on the River employees
c. Relatives or employer/employee of contestants
d. Judges who will be competing in any local Country on the River’s Next Big Star competition
2. No audience ballots or applause meters shall be used.
3. The judging form must be used with the point/rating system and cannot be altered. Judges MAY change their scores as a result of discussions before finalizing the totals on their score sheets to determine the winner.
4. Judges are NOT to be served alcoholic beverages during any portion of the actual contest performance.
5. Back-up bands or any part thereof are not allowed to participate as contestants. Contestants utilizing these bands are to be judged solely on their individual performance (finals only).
6. Contestants are not allowed to utilize recorded music as part of their performance at the local contest or finals.
7. Songwriting category is defined as material being written by the individual or member of the contestant group performing the song.
8. In the event of a tie, the first tie-breaker shall be the highest number of points given in the “Overall Talent” category. The second tie-breaker shall be the highest number of points in the “Vocal/Instrumental Talent” category. The third tie-breaker shall be a secret ballot by the judges.